Thursday 10 February 2011

Films That Really Matter To Us: 28 Days Later

For more info on "films that really matter to us" posts, check this post out.

Of all the Danny Boyle films to pick, I pick the one about the zombies. Why the hell do I think this film has some sort of significance!? It's bloody amazing that's why!

First of all, I'm going to get one thing straight with you. I hate scary films. I mean I get scared watching Disney's Snow White or Ice Age 2, so I'm hardly going to sit down and watch a terrifying zombie film. But because it was directed by Danny Boyle, I was drawn in. 28 Days Later is not terrifying. In fact, it's a bit tense and jumpy, but no more tense than, say, Girl, Interrupted (well that bit at the end with Angelina Jolie going a bit crazy spooked me, anyway). It's pretty gory, but we're not talking sawing your own leg off or blowing up a shark in the middle of the sea. To be honest, this film is pretty tame apart from about 15 minutes into the film and the last half hour.

Mind: blown.
28 Days Later is just a really great example of what the British film industry can do. If you don't watch the whole film, just watch from when Jim (Cillian Murphy) wakes up in the hospital to just as he enters the church. I don't care how many times I watch that film, I'm still amazed that they managed to shut of parts of central London to shoot the deserted post-apocalyptic scenes. It then becomes a zombie film for a bit, but it's got believable characters and the inevitable 'child in peril' character.

To me, it's one of those films that you expect to watch once and never want to see again, but it's such a mind blowing film that I can't actually think of anything else to write! Plus, it's got a killer soundtrack!

No comments:

Post a Comment